Table of contents:
Azelex cream is a prescription topical treatment for mild-to-moderate inflammatory acne vulgaris and rosacea. Azelaic acid is the active ingredient in Azelex cream, and it belongs to a class of drugs known as dicarboxylic acids. It works by reducing the amount of acne-causing bacteria on the skin and by helping to keep your skin pores clean.
Use and Dosage
To use Azelaic Acid cream, first clean the affected area and pat it dry. Then, apply a thin layer of the cream to the affected area usually twice daily, in the morning and evening, or as directed by your doctor. Gently massage the cream into the skin so it is fully absorbed. After use, wash your hands.
Be careful to avoid getting the cream in or near your eyes, nose, or mouth. If the cream comes into contact with any of these areas, wash it off immediately with plenty of water. Do not cover the affected area with a bandage or other covering unless directed to do so by your doctor.
Use azelex cream regularly according to your doctor's instructions to receive the maximum benefit. Do not use more cream than directed, as this won't improve your condition any faster and may even increase your risk of side effects. It may take up to a month to see an improvement in your condition, and the full effects of the treatment may take even longer.
Common Side Effects of Azelex Cream (Azelaic Acid):
- Drying or flaking of the skin
- Temporary stinging
Serious Side Effects of Azelex Cream (Azelaic Acid):
- Changes in skin color
- Difficulty breathing
- Severe burning stinging or warmth
- Severe itching or tingling
- Severe redness dryness peeling or other irritation and
- Swelling of your face lips tongue or throat
Forms and Strength
Azelex Cream (Azelaic Acid) is available in the following forms and strength:
Azelaic Acid: Cream
- Azelex Cream is for external use only and should not be used in the eyes, mouth, or vagina.
- Azelaic Acid may bleach hair and colored fabrics, so be careful when applying the cream.
- Azelex Cream may cause skin irritation, burning, or stinging, and some people may experience allergic reactions.
- Azelaic Acid may interact with other medications, let your healthcare provider know about all the drugs you are currently taking.
- Azelex Cream may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight, use sunscreen and avoid tanning beds while using the cream.
- Azelaic Acid may take several weeks to show improvement in your acne, so be patient and continue using the cream as directed.
- Do not use Azelex Cream if you are allergic to azelaic acid or any of the other ingredients in the cream.
- If your acne does not improve or gets worse while using Azelex Cream, talk to your healthcare provider, as they may need to switch you to a different treatment.
- Talk to your healthcare provider before using Azelex Cream if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I use azelaic Cream to lighten dark spots on my skin?
While azelaic acid is not FDA-approved to treat dark spots, it can lighten the skin. This medication blocks tyrosinase, a protein in your body that makes melanin. Melanin is the brown or black pigment that's responsible for things like skin or eye color.
Can I use Azelex Cream if I am pregnant?
Talk to your healthcare provider before using Azelex Cream if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding.
How long does it take for Azelaic Acid to work?
Azelaic Acid may take several weeks to show improvement in your acne, so be patient and continue using the cream as directed. People typically see an improvement in their acne after about 4 weeks of treatment. People being treated for rosacea might need to use this medication for up to 12 weeks before their skin starts to get better.
Can I wear makeup over azelaic acid?
Yes, you can apply cosmetics over azelaic acid foam or gel (Finacea) after it dries to give your skin the chance to absorb the medication. However, if you apply cosmetics before it dries, your skin might not absorb the full dose of the medication.
It's important to purchase Azelex Cream from verified Canadian pharmacy.