Table of contents:
Aygestin (Norethindrone) is a medication commonly prescribed to treat a variety of gynecological conditions. It is used to treat endometriosis, amenorrhea, abnormal uterine bleeding, and other medical issues related to the reproductive system.
Norethindrone belongs to a class of drugs called Progestin. It works by preventing the buildup of the uterine lining during the menstrual cycle and by inducing hormone changes in the uterus to restore normal menstrual periods. It acts primarily by preventing ovulation and thickening cervical mucus.
Aygestin is a medication used for birth control to prevent pregnancy. It is a synthetic form of the hormone progesterone, naturally produced by the body. It can be used alone or with other medications. Aygestin must not be used to test for pregnancy, as progestins are not effective in preventing miscarriages.
Uses and Dosage
Norethindrone is a tablet taken orally by mouth, as prescribed by your doctor. You should take Aygestin with a full glass of water, and it should be taken with or without food to prevent stomach upset. Follow the dosing schedule and consult with your physician if you have any questions.
The dosage of Aygestin will depend on your medical condition and response to the treatment. It is taken once a day at the same time each day. For the treatment of stopped menstrual periods and abnormal bleeding from the uterus, Norethindrone is typically taken once daily for 5-10 days during the second half of the planned menstrual cycle or as prescribed by your doctor. Withdrawal bleeding is expected within 3-7 days after the medication ends.
Common Side Effects of Aygestin Include:
- Breast pain or swelling
- Depressed mood
- Hair loss
- Irregular vaginal bleeding or spotting
- Stomach pain
- Trouble sleeping
- Vaginal itching or discharge
- Weight gain
Serious Side Effects of Aygestin
- Heart disease and high blood pressure
- High cholesterol or triglycerides
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Migraine headaches
- Uterine fibroid tumors
Form and Strength
Aygestin and its generic alternative Norethindrone are available in the following forms and strengths:
- 5 mg
- 5 mg
- Patients with risk factors for arterial and venous thromboembolism (HTN, DM, tobacco use, hypercholesterolemia, obesity, personal/family history of VTE, and SLE) should be managed appropriately.
- In cases of breakthrough or irregular bleeding, nonfunctional causes should be considered, and adequate diagnostic measures taken for undiagnosed vaginal bleeding.
- Discontinue Norethindrone pending examination if there is a sudden partial or complete loss of vision, proptosis, diplopia, or migraine. If examination reveals papilledema or retinal vascular lesions, medication should be stopped.
- Norethindrone may cause some degree of fluid retention, and women with conditions such as epilepsy, migraine, cardiac or renal dysfunctions should be monitored closely
- Do not take Aygestin if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Avoid taking Aygestin if you have certain medical conditions, such as uncontrolled high blood pressure, heart, liver, or kidney disease, or a history of stroke or blood clot.
- Avoid taking Aygestin if you are taking certain medications, such as warfarin or other blood thinners. Talk to your doctor before taking Aygestin to make sure it is safe for you.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is it safe to take Aygestin (Norethindrone)?
Yes, Aygestin is generally safe to take when used as directed. However, if you have any medical conditions or are taking other medications, you should talk to your doctor before taking Aygestin.
How should I take Aygestin (Norethindrone)?
Aygestin should be taken as directed by your doctor. It is taken once a day at the same time each day. You should take Aygestin with a full glass of water, and it should be taken with or without food.
How long does it take for Aygestin (Norethindrone) to start working?
It may take several weeks for Aygestin to start working. It may take up to 6 weeks for the full effect of Aygestin to be seen. Talk to your doctor if you do not see any improvement after 6 weeks.
It's important to purchase Aygestin from verified Canadian pharmacy.