Table of contents:
Anbesol Maximum Strength Liquid is a type of over-the-counter pain reliever that is formulated with 20% benzocaine, an oral anesthetic. It is used to provide fast, effective relief from toothache pain, canker sores, sore gums, and other mouth and gum irritations.
Anbesol Maximum Strength Liquid contains 20% benzocaine as its active ingredient. Benzocaine belongs to a class of medications known as local anesthetics, which work by numbing the nerve endings in the affected area and reducing the sensation of pain.
Use and Dosage
The recommended dose for adults is to apply Anbesol Maximum Strength Liquid every 2 hours, up to 4 times per day, or as directed by your doctor or dentist.
Adults and children 2 years of age and older: Wipe liquid on with cotton, or cotton swab, or fingertip. Apply to the affected area up to 4 times daily or as directed by a doctor/dentist. Children under 12 years of age: adult supervision should be given in the use of this product. Do not exceed the recommended dose. If you experience any side effects or symptoms that persist or worsen, seek medical advice immediately.
To use Anbesol Maximum Strength Liquid for oral pain relief:
- Wash your hands before use.
- Apply a small amount of the liquid to a cotton swab or your finger.
- Apply the liquid directly to the affected area in your mouth.
- Wait a few seconds for the liquid to take effect.
- Do not eat or drink for at least 1 hour after use to allow the medication to work.
Read the label and follow the instructions carefully to avoid any potential adverse effects. If you have any questions or concerns about using Anbesol Maximum Strength Liquid, consult with your doctor or pharmacist before use.
Common Side Effects of Anbesol Maximum Strength Liquid (Benzocaine - non-Rx):
- Allergic reaction such as rash, itching, or swelling of the face, tongue, or throat
- Numbness or tingling in the mouth
- Stinging or burning sensation in the mouth
- Swelling or redness of the mouth
Serious Side Effects of Anbesol Maximum Strength Liquid (Benzocaine - non-Rx):
- Bluish-colored lips, fingernails, or palms
- Dark urine
- Difficulty breathing
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- High fever
- Pale skin
- Rapid heart rate
- Sore throat
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
- Worsening of pain, redness, swelling, or irritation in or around the mouth
Forms and Strength
Anbesol Maximum Strength Liquid (Benzocaine - non-Rx) is available in the following forms and strength:
Anbesol Maximum Strength Liquid: Liquid
- Do not use this product if you are allergic to benzocaine or any other ingredients in the product.
- Do not apply more than directed or use for more than 7 days unless directed by a healthcare professional.
- Do not swallow the product or use it in or around your eyes.
- Seek medical attention immediately if you experience any unusual symptoms such as confusion, nervousness, or redness and swelling inside the mouth.
- Do not use Anbesol on children under the age of 2 unless directed by a doctor.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, consult with a healthcare professional before using this product.
- Do not use this product along with other oral products containing benzocaine.
- Do not apply this product on large areas of the body or on broken or irritated skin.
- Discontinue use and consult with a healthcare professional if your symptoms worsen or do not improve after 7 days of use.
- Do not use this product if you have a history of methemoglobinemia, a potentially life-threatening blood disorder.
- Keep this product out of reach of children and supervise children when using this product to avoid accidental ingestion.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How many times a day should you use Anbesol?
Apply Anbesol Liquid using the fingertip, undiluted, to the affected area. If necessary, repeat the application after 3 hours. Do not use it more than 6 times in one day (24-hour period).
How do I use Anbesol Maximum Strength Liquid?
Apply a small amount of Anbesol Maximum Strength Liquid directly onto the affected area with the included applicator or a cotton swab. Use up to 4 times daily as needed.
Can Anbesol Maximum Strength Liquid be used for children?
Anbesol Maximum Strength Liquid should not be used for children under 2 years old unless directed by a doctor. Children between 2 and 12 years old should use the product under adult supervision.
It's important to purchase Anbesol Maximum Strength Liquid from verified Canadian pharmacy.