Table of contents:
Zovirax Ointment is a topical medication used to treat herpes simplex virus infections of the skin, including cold sores (herpes labialis) and genital herpes (herpes simplex virus 2). The active ingredient in Zovirax Ointment is acyclovir, which is a nucleoside analogue DNA polymerase inhibitor.
Zovirax Ointment is an antiviral medication that can help reduce the duration of pain and speed up the healing of sores. Acyclovir, the active ingredient in Zovirax Ointment, stops the growth of certain viruses. However, it does not cure herpes or prevent future outbreaks, nor does it prevent the spread of herpes to others.
Uses and Dosage
Apply Zovirax ointment topically to the affected areas on your skin only and be careful to avoid getting the ointment in your eyes. If you accidentally get some in your eyes, wash them immediately with plenty of water.
To use Zovirax Ointment, follow the instructions provided by your doctor or pharmacist. Here is some general guidance based on the information provided in the drug's instructions.
- Wash your hands thoroughly before and after applying the ointment.
- Clean the affected area with mild soap and water and pat it dry with a clean towel.
- Apply a small amount of ointment to the affected area with a clean finger or cotton swab.
- Rub the ointment in gently until it disappears.
- Wash your hands again after applying the ointment.
- Use the ointment as directed by your doctor or pharmacist usually every 3 hours, six times per day.
- Remember to wash your hands with soap and water before and after applying the medication.
Continue using Zovirax ointment for the full duration of the prescribed treatment. If your condition persists or worsens after 7 days of treatment, consult your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Use topical acyclovir exactly as directed. Do not use more or less of it or use it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
Common Side Effects of Zovirax Ointment (Acyclovir):
- Burning or stinging skin
- Dry or cracked lips
- Flaky, peeling, or dry skin
- General ill feeling
- Mouth pain while using an acyclovir buccal tablet
- Redness, swelling, or irritation in the place where you applied the medication
Serious Side Effects of Zovirax Ointment (Acyclovir):
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
- Easy bruising or bleeding
- Feeling tired
- Little or no urination
- Painful or difficult urination
- Purple or red pinpoint spots under the skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of the face, throat, lips, eyes, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
Form and Strength
Zovirax Ointment (Acyclovir) is available in the following forms and strength:
Zovirax Ointment: Ointment
- Zovirax Ointment is for external use only and should not be used near the eyes or inside the mouth or nose.
- Do not use Zovirax Ointment if you are allergic to it or any of its ingredients.
- Before using Zovirax Ointment, tell your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding.
- Zovirax Ointment may interact with other medications you are taking; inform your doctor and pharmacist about all medications you are using before starting this treatment.
- Side effects of Zovirax Ointment may include redness, itching, and dryness at the application site.
- Zovirax Ointment may cause rare but serious side effects, such as an allergic reaction, hives, or difficulty breathing.
- Zovirax Ointment may not be effective in individuals with a weakened immune system and may need to be used with caution.
- Zovirax Ointment may interact with other topical medications that you are using; inform your doctor and pharmacist about all topical medications you are using before starting this treatment.
- Zovirax Ointment may not be recommended for use in individuals with kidney disease or other serious medical conditions.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is Zovirax ointment available over the counter?
Zovirax ointment is a prescription medication, so it is not available over the counter. You will need to see a doctor to get a prescription for Zovirax ointment.
How long does it take for Zovirax ointment to work?
Zovirax ointment can help relieve symptoms of cold sores (such as itching and burning) within hours of the first application. However, it typically takes 2-3 days for the cold sore to begin healing and up to 10 days for the sore to completely heal.
Is Zovirax ointment safe for children?
Zovirax ointment is generally considered safe for use in children over 12 years of age. Safety and efficacy have not been established in younger children, consult with a doctor before using it in children under 12.
It's important to purchase Zovirax Ointment from verified Canadian pharmacy.