Table of contents:
Rimadyl generically known as Carprofen is a medication used to treat pain and inflammation in dogs with osteoarthritis or other joint diseases. Carprofen belongs to a group of drugs called NSAIDs (Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Rimadyl works by blocking the production of prostaglandins, which are hormone-like substances that cause inflammation.
Rimadyl is used as an arthritis medication for dogs, but it can also be used for other conditions that cause pain and inflammation. It is commonly prescribed by veterinarians for canine arthritis, hip dysplasia, and other joint-related conditions. Rimadyl is only approved for use in dogs and should not be given to other animals or humans. If you are considering giving Rimadyl to your dog, you should consult with a veterinarian who can help determine if it is a safe and appropriate treatment option.
Uses and Dosage
Rimadyl is available in chewable tablets. Rimadyl must be given with food to minimize the risk of gastrointestinal side effects. The dosage of Rimadyl will depend on the weight and condition of your dog and can vary from case-to-case. Only your veterinarian can determine the right dosage for your dog, so it is important to follow their advice carefully. The recommended duration and frequency of Rimadyl treatment will be determined by your veterinarian. Do not stop or alter the dose of this medication without their approval.Regular veterinary check-ups are important when using Rimadyl long-term, to monitor your dog's response to the medication and ensure that it is still appropriate.
The recommended dosage for oral administration to dogs is 2 mg/lb of body weight daily. The total daily dose may be administered as 2 mg/lb of body weight once daily or divided and administered as 1 mg/lb twice daily. For the control of postoperative pain, administer approximately 2 hours before the procedure.
Common Side Effects of Rimadyl (Carprofen):
Serious Side Effects of Rimadyl (Carprofen):
- Behavioral changes
- Black, tarry, or bloody stool
- Change in appetite
- Changes in behavior (increased or decreased activity, changes in coordination, aggression)
- Changes in skin
- Increased drinking and urination
- Lack of appetite
- Severe lethargy
- Skin symptoms (scabbing, itching, or redness)
- Urinary symptoms (change in frequency, color, or smell of urine)
- Yellowing of gums, skin, or whites of the eyes (jaundice)
Form and strength
Rimadyl (Carprofen) is available in the following forms and strength:
Rimadyl: Chewable Tablet
- 25 mg
- 100 mg
Carprofen: Chewable Tablet
- 25 mg
- 75 mg
- 100 mg
- Rimadyl can cause side effects, such as loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, and changes in behavior or mood. More serious side effects can occur, such as liver or kidney damage, but these are less common.
- Rimadyl must be given with food to minimize the risk of gastrointestinal side effects.
- Regular veterinary check-ups are important when using Rimadyl long-term, to monitor your dog's response to the medication and ensure that it is still appropriate.
- Signs of carprofen intolerance may include appetite loss, vomiting and diarrhea, which could indicate side effects involving the digestive system.
- Carprofen may relieve inflammation and pain in your dog, but it can also cause damage in the process.
- Your vet should let you know how much Carprofen to give your dog and when and may advise on drug interactions and precautions with Carprofen.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can humans take Rimadyl?
No, Rimadyl is only approved for use in dogs, and should not be given to humans or other animals.
How long does Rimadyl take to work in dogs?
Rimadyl typically begins to work within hours of administration, but the exact timing will depend on the condition being treated and the severity of the pain or inflammation.
Can Rimadyl be given with other medications?
It depends on the specific medications involved, and your veterinarian can advise you on any potential drug interactions or precautions to take when combining medications.
It's important to purchase Rimadyl from verified Canadian pharmacy.