Table of contents:
Preparation H Ointment is a medicine used to treat symptoms associated with hemorrhoids. It is a topical treatment that provides relief from itching and burning that often accompanies hemorrhoid symptoms.
The active ingredients in Preparation H are mineral oil, petrolatum, and phenylephrine HCl. The mineral oil and petrolatum provide a soothing layer of protection against further skin irritation, while the phenylephrine HCl helps to shrink swollen hemorrhoidal tissue.
Uses and Dosage
Preparation H Ointment can be applied directly to the affected area up to 4 times per day, as directed by a doctor. However, consult with a doctor before using Preparation H Ointment or any medication to treat hemorrhoids, as there may be other underlying conditions that need to be addressed.
The Ointment can be used with an applicator for the treatment of internal hemorrhoid symptoms. To relieve painful symptoms such as burning and itching, learn how to comfortably use the applicator. The ointment provides immediate relief and a soothing layer of protection to prevent further irritation.
Here are the general steps for using the ointment:
- Wash and dry the affected area.
- Squeeze a small amount of ointment onto your fingertip or the applicator provided.
- Gently apply the ointment to the affected area, taking care not to apply too much pressure or cause further irritation.
- Apply the ointment up to 4 times per day, especially after bowel movements.
- Wash your hands after applying the ointment.
Read the label carefully and follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer. If your symptoms persist or worsen, or if you experience any unusual side effects, you should consult your healthcare provider.
Common Side Effects of Preparation H Ointment (With Bio Dyne - non-Rx):
- Any new or worsening hemorrhoid symptoms
- Rectal bleeding
- Severe irritation inside or around your rectum
Serious Side Effects of Preparation H Ointment (With Bio Dyne - non-Rx):
- Increased blood pressure
- Severe headache
- Blurred vision
- pounding in your neck or ears
- Signs of an allergic reaction
- Peeling skin with or without fever
- Swallowing or talking
- Swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Tightness in the chest or throat
- Trouble breathing
- Unusual hoarseness
Form and Strength
Preparation H Ointment (With Bio Dyne - non-Rx) is available in the following forms and strength:
Preparation H Ointment: Ointment
- Preparation H Ointment is meant for external and intrarectal use only and should not be used in the eyes or mouth.
- Preparation H may cause local skin reactions such as burning, itching, dryness, or rash. Tell all your health care providers you take Preparation H (phenylephrine rectal cream, gel, and ointment).
- Individuals who are allergic to any of the ingredients in Preparation H should not use it.
- People with pre-existing medical conditions or taking other medications should consult with their healthcare provider before using Preparation H Ointment.
- Store the medication at room temperature and keep it out of reach of children and pets.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to get pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Preparation H (phenylephrine rectal cream, gel, and ointment) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks of Preparation H to your baby.
- The Ointment is not recommended to use the medication for longer than 7 days in a row unless directed by a healthcare provider.
- Frequent use of the medication may cause the body to become less responsive to it, making it less effective over time.
- The Ointment may interact with other medications or supplements, inform your healthcare provider of other medications being taken.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How many times a day should you use preparation h?
Preparation h can be applied up to 4 times a day.
How long do you have to use preparation h?
Preparation h is an over the counter medication you can buy that shrinks swollen hemorrhoids, which is safe to use. These should not be used for longer than 1-2 weeks unless the healthcare provider approves longer usage.
Can you use preparation h cream on your face?
Hemorrhoid creams that contain hydrocortisone can actually worsen some skin problems of the face, including impetigo, rosacea, and acne. The mayo clinic warns that topical hydrocortisone can lead to thinning of the skin and easy bruising, especially when applied to the face.
When is the best time to use Preparation H?
Apply to the affected area up to 4 times daily, especially at night, in the morning and after each bowel movement. Can be applied to external area or internal area (with applicator).
It's important to purchase Preparation H Ointment from verified Canadian pharmacy.