Table of contents:
Pred Forte is an ophthalmic suspension medication that contains the active ingredient prednisolone acetate. It is used to treat certain eye conditions caused by inflammation or injury, such as steroid-responsive inflammation of the palpebral and bulbar conjunctiva, cornea, and anterior segment of the globe.
Prednisolone belongs to a class of drugs known as corticosteroids and should be used as directed by a healthcare professional. It works by relieving symptoms such as swelling, redness, and irritation.
Uses and Dosage
Pred Forte is typically prescribed by an eye doctor and is available in different strengths (1%). As with any medication, follow the prescribed dosage and instructions provided by your doctor.
To use Pred Forte (Prednisolone Acetate Ophthalmic Suspension) correctly, patients should follow these general steps:
- Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water before handling the medication.
- Shake the Pred Forte bottle well to ensure that the suspension is evenly mixed.
- Tilt the head back and use the fingers to gently pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to create a small pocket.
- Hold the Pred Forte bottle upside down over the eye and squeeze one or two drops into the pocket.
- Release the lower eyelid gently, and then close the eye and keep it closed for one to two minutes.
- Repeat with the other eye, if directed to do so.
- Store the medication at room temperature between 15°C and 25°C (59°F and 77°F), and out of the reach of children.
Common Side Effects of Pred Forte (Prednisolone):
- Greater pressure in your eyes
- Mild stinging, burning, and irritation in your eyes
- More eye infections with long-term use
Serious Side Effects of Pred Forte (Prednisolone):
- Allergic reaction: trouble breathing or swallowing, swelling (on your face, lips, mouth, or throat), peeling skin, rash, hives
- Blurred vision
- Eye pain
- Pain behind your eye
- Seeing halos around lights
- Small white or yellow patches on the surface of your eye
- Swelling, redness, severe discomfort, crusting or drainage from the eye
- Tunnel vision
Form and Strength
Pred Forte (Prednisolone) is available in the following forms and strength:
Pred Forte: Suspension
Pred Forte: Suspension Drops
- Steroids should be used with caution in the presence of glaucoma.
- The possibility of fungal invasion should be considered in any persistent corneal ulceration where steroid treatment has been used.
- Long-term use of Pred Forte may lead to the development of cataracts or glaucoma.
- Contact lens wearers should be advised to remove lenses prior to application of Pred Forte and wait at least 15 minutes after application before reinserting lenses.
- Patients should be advised not to drive or operate machinery until vision is clear after using Pred Forte.
- Patients who experience blurred vision, visual halos, or other visual disturbances with Pred Forte use should immediately stop the medication and contact their doctor.
- Patients who also have viral or bacterial infections of the eye should not use Pred Forte without first consulting with their healthcare provider.
- Pred Forte may suppress the immune system and increase the risk of infection. Patients who are taking immunosuppressive medications or have a weakened immune system should use Pred Forte with caution.
- Pred Forte may interact with other medications, potentially causing harmful side effects. Patients should tell their healthcare provider about all medications they are taking before starting treatment with Pred Forte.
- Pred Forte should not be used in children under 18 without first consulting a healthcare provider.
- If a dose of Pred Forte is missed, patients should instill the missed dose as soon as they remember. If it is almost time for the next dose, patients should skip the missed dose and resume their regular dosing schedule. Patients should not double their dose to make up for a missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Pred Forte be used during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
The safety of Pred Forte during pregnancy or while breastfeeding has not been established. Patients should consult with their healthcare provider before using Pred Forte if they are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding.
Can Pred Forte be used in children?
Pred Forte should not be used in children under 18 without first consulting a healthcare provider.
How should I store Pred Forte?
Pred Forte should be stored at room temperature between 15°C and 25°C (59°F and 77°F) and should be kept out of the reach of children. Patients should not use Pred Forte if it has been stored at temperatures outside of this range.
How long can I use Pred Forte?
Pred Forte should be used only as long as prescribed by a healthcare provider. Patients should not use Pred Forte for longer than prescribed or stop using it without first consulting with their healthcare provider.
It's important to purchase Pred Forte from verified Canadian pharmacy.