Nicorette mint gum is a type of nicotine gum designed to help people quit smoking. It provides a burst of minty freshness and long-lasting relief from cravings by delivering a therapeutic dose of nicotine.
Nicorette Mint, also known as nicotine polacrilex, is a non-prescription medication used to help people quit smoking by reducing their cravings and withdrawal symptoms. It works by delivering a controlled amount of nicotine to the body, which helps to reduce the physical symptoms of nicotine withdrawal that can occur when a person quits smoking.
Use and Dosage
To use Nicorette Mint effectively, follow a few simple steps. First, make sure to chew the gum slowly until you can taste the nicotine or feel a tingling sensation in your mouth. This allows the nicotine to be absorbed into your bloodstream through the tissue in your mouth.
Once you feel the tingling sensation, it’s time to stop chewing and park the piece of Nicorette between your cheek and gums. This allows the nicotine to continue to be absorbed into your bloodstream over time. Be sure to position the gum so that the nicotine-containing side is facing the cheek or gum tissue, as this will help ensure effective absorption.
After about a minute or so, when the tingling sensation is almost gone, you can start chewing again. Repeat this process until the tingle is completely gone, which usually takes about 30 minutes.
Note that you should avoid swallowing the gum or chewing it too quickly, as this can cause stomach upset. Additionally, you should not use more than 24 pieces of Nicorette Mint in a day, as this can lead to a nicotine overdose. If you have any questions or concerns about how to use Nicorette Mint, don’t hesitate to consult with a healthcare professional. They can provide guidance on the proper use of this product to help you quit smoking for good.
Serious Side Effects of Nicorette Mint (Nicotine polacrilex – non-Rx):
- Belching or hiccups
- Changes in taste
- Chest pain
- Dry or watering mouth
- Mouth or throat soreness
- Sneezing and coughing
- Stomach upset or nausea
- Uneven heartbeats
- Watering eyes
- Serious allergic reactions: swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat; hives; difficulty breathing.
Forms and Strength
Nicorette Mint (Nicotine polacrilex – non-Rx) is available in the following forms and strength:
Nicorette Mint: Mint flavored gum
- 2 mg
- 4 mg
- Possible side effects such as skin irritation, dizziness, racing heartbeat, sleep problems or trouble concentrating (from nicotine replacement therapy).
- Potential risks associated with e-cigarette use, such as increased likelihood of smoking cigarettes in the future, and problems concentrating and craving nicotine.
- The need to keep track of all products being used, including herbal and prescription/nonprescription drugs, to avoid harmful drug interactions.
- Warnings against potential major adverse effects of nicotine replacement therapy
- The possibility that products such as lozenges or gum contain enough nicotine to cause problems, which may require caution and proper usage to avoid negative side effects.
- Nicotine replacement therapy products like Nicorette mint are intended only for adults 18 years or older and should not be used by children.
- Nicotine gum and lozenges should be used with caution by people with certain health problems, such as asthma, stomach ulcers, or heart disease, and it is recommended that they consult with their healthcare provider before use.
- Nicotine gum and lozenges may not be suitable for people with certain mouth or dental problems, such as oral infections or dental work, because they could cause irritation or discomfort.
- Nicotine gum and lozenges can be habit-forming and should be used only as directed and for a limited amount of time (generally up to twelve weeks). Prolonged usage of these products may lead to addiction or dependence on nicotine.
- When using nicotine replacement therapy products like Nicorette mint, follow dosing instructions carefully, as using too much can cause an overdose of nicotine, which can be toxic and potentially life-threatening.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How often should I use Nicorette Mint?
You can use Nicorette Mint whenever you feel the urge to smoke. However, you should not use more than 24 pieces of Nicorette Mint per day.
Can I use Nicorette Mint to quit other forms of tobacco, like smokeless tobacco?
Nicorette Mint is specifically designed to help people quit smoking. While it may be effective for quitting other forms of tobacco, such as smokeless tobacco, it is not specifically marketed for this purpose.
Can Nicorette Mint be used by children or teenagers?
No, Nicorette Mint is not recommended for use by children or teenagers under the age of 18.
Can I chew Nicorette Mint while I am still smoking?
Nicorette Mint is designed to be used as a part of a larger smoking cessation program and is typically used after a person has quit smoking. However, you should consult with a healthcare professional for guidance on the best way to quit smoking.