Table of contents:
Naprosyn EC is oral medication prescribed to relieve pain or inflammation caused by conditions such as arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, and osteoarthrosis. It can be used to treat conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, menstrual cramps, bursitis, tendinitis, and gout. It is available in a 250mg, 375mg or 500mg gastro-resistant tablet form.
Naprosyn EC contains the active ingredient naproxen which Naproxen belongs to a class of drugs known as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). It works by blocking the production of certain prostaglandins that cause pain and inflammation in the body. By reducing inflammation, Naproxen can help alleviate a range of symptoms, including pain, fever, and swelling.
Use and Dosage
Naprosyn EC is a tablet that is taken by mouth as directed by a doctor, usually twice daily with or without food. It should be swallowed whole and not be broken, crushed, or chewed, to avoid releasing the drug too quickly and increasing the risk of side effects. The tablet should be taken with a full glass of water unless otherwise directed by a doctor. After taking the drug, do not lie down for at least 10 minutes.
The dosage of Naprosyn EC is based on the patient's medical condition and response to treatment. However, the typical starting dose for adults is 250 or 500 milligrams (mg) taken twice daily (in the morning and evening). The dose may be adjusted as needed. For treating acute pain, a 500mg dose may be taken initially, followed by 250mg every 6-8 hours as needed. The dosage may also differ for controlled-release formulations. To reduce the risk of stomach bleeding and other side effects, a doctor may prescribe the lowest effective dose for the shortest possible time. Do not increase the dose or take the drug more often than directed.
For ongoing conditions like arthritis, patients should continue taking Naprosyn EC as directed by their doctor. It may take up to two weeks of taking the drug regularly for certain conditions such as arthritis to get the full benefit.
Common Side Effects of Naprosyn EC (Naproxen):
- Blurred vision
- Flu symptoms
- Mild heartburn or stomach pain
- Ringing in your ears
- Skin itching or rash
- Upset stomach
Serious Side Effects of Naprosyn EC (Naproxen):
- Anemia (low red blood cells)
- Bloody or tarry stools
- Clay-colored stools
- Cold hands or feet
- Coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds
- Dark urine
- Feeling lightheaded
- Little or no urination
- Loss of appetite
- Painful urination
- Pale skin
- Shortness of breath
- Skin rash or blisters
- Swelling in your feet or ankles
- Swelling or rapid weight gain
- Upper stomach pain
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes (jaundice)
Forms and Strength
Naprosyn EC (Naproxen) is available in the following forms and strength:
Naprosyn EC: Enteric Coated Tablet
- 375 mg
- 500 mg
- 250 mg
- 375 mg
- 500 mg
- Allergy: Do not take Naproxen if you are allergic to naproxen or any other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Symptoms of an allergic reaction may include rash, itching, swelling, dizziness, or trouble breathing.
- Cardiovascular risk: NSAIDs, including naproxen, can increase the risk of heart attack, stroke, or other cardiovascular events, especially if used long-term or in high doses. Patients with a history of cardiovascular disease, hypertension, or high cholesterol may be at higher risk.
- Gastrointestinal effects: Naproxen can cause ulceration, bleeding, and perforation of the stomach or intestines, particularly in elderly patients. It is usually recommended to take Naproxen with food or milk to minimize stomach irritation.
- Renal effects: NSAIDs can cause kidney damage or worsen existing kidney disease, particularly in patients with pre-existing kidney disease, heart failure, or liver disease.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: Naproxen should be avoided in the last trimester of pregnancy and during breastfeeding, as it may harm the fetus or infant.
- Drug interactions: Naproxen can interact with other medications, including anticoagulants, aspirin, lithium, and methotrexate, and may increase the risk of bleeding, kidney damage, or other adverse events.
- Asthma: Patients with a history of aspirin-sensitive asthma may experience an allergic reaction or worsening of asthma symptoms with the use of Naproxen.
- Liver disease: Naproxen may cause liver damage or worsen existing liver disease. Patients with liver disease should be monitored closely while taking Naproxen.
- Bleeding disorders: Naproxen may increase the risk of bleeding, particularly in patients with bleeding disorders or taking anticoagulant medication.
- Elderly patients: The elderly may be more susceptible to side effects associated with Naproxen, particularly gastrointestinal bleeding, or renal impairment.
- CNS effects: Naproxen may cause central nervous system (CNS) effects such as dizziness, somnolence, or headaches. Patients should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery until they know how the drug affects them.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Naprosyn EC be taken with other medications?
Naprosyn EC may interact with other medications, tell a doctor about all medications being taken, including over-the-counter drugs and supplements.
Is Naprosyn EC available without a prescription?
No, Naprosyn EC is a prescription medication and should only be taken under the guidance of a doctor.
How long does it take for Naprosyn EC to start working?
The onset of pain relief with Naprosyn EC varies depending on the individual and the condition being treated. However, it usually begins to work within 1-2 hours.
Can Naprosyn EC be taken during pregnancy?
Naprosyn EC should be avoided during the third trimester of pregnancy as it may cause harm to the unborn baby. It should also be used with caution during the first and second trimesters.
How long can Naprosyn EC be taken for?
The duration of treatment with Naprosyn EC depends on the condition being treated and the individual's response to the medication. In general, it should not be taken for more than 10 days for pain relief and 3 days for fever reduction without consulting a doctor.
It's important to purchase Naprosyn EC from verified Canadian pharmacy.