Table of contents:
Heartgard plus Green is used as a monthly preventative to protect dogs from heartworm disease and to control roundworms and hookworms. The active ingredient Ivermectin eliminates the immature form of heartworms, while Pyrantel Embonate removes hookworms and roundworms.
Heartgard plus Green is a chewable medication for dogs that weigh between 26-50 pounds, used to prevent heartworm disease and to treat and control roundworms and hookworms. It works by eliminating the tissue stage of heartworm larvae, Dirofilaria immitis, up to a month after infection, as well as preventing infections from ascarids including Toxocara canis and Toxascaris leonina, and hookworms such as Ancylostoma caninum, Uncinaria stenocephala, and Ancylostoma braziliense.
Use and Dosage
Heartgard plus Green is available in the form of chewable tablets that should be given to dogs once every month on or around the same day. The tablet should be taken as a monthly chewable medication for dogs that weigh between 26-50 pounds. The medication is made with real beef, making it especially tasty and easy to administer. Although Heartgard plus Chewables are safe for dogs, they should not be given to cats.
The chewables should not be swallowed whole, and pet owners should instead consider breaking or crumbling the tablets and mixing it with food. After dosing, pet owners should monitor their dog closely to ensure that the entire dose has been swallowed. If there is any doubt, they should immediately administer another full dose.
Common Side Effects of Heartgard plus Green (Ivermectin/Pyrantel Embonate):
- Hyper salivation
Forms and Strength
Heartgard plus Green (Ivermectin/Pyrantel Embonate) is available in the following forms and strength:
Ivermectin/Pyrantel Embonate: Tablet
- For dogs 26 to 50lb: 136mcg/114mg
- Heartgard plus Green may cause side effects in some dogs, including vomiting, diarrhea, and lack of appetite. If your dog experiences any of these symptoms, you should consult with your veterinarian.
- Heartgard plus Green should only be given to dogs between 26-50 pounds in weight. Ensure that you are giving your dog the correct dose based on their weight, as giving too much of the medication can be harmful.
- Dogs with certain health conditions, such as liver disease or epilepsy, may not be able to tolerate Heartgard plus Green. You should consult with your veterinarian before giving Heartgard plus Green to a dog with any pre-existing health conditions.
- Take Heartgard plus Green on a monthly basis and do not skip any doses, as missing doses can put your dog at risk of contracting heartworm disease.
- The Heartgard plus Green chewable tablets should be kept out of the reach of children and pets, as they can be harmful if ingested.
- Pregnant or nursing dogs should not take Heartgard plus Green, as the medication may be harmful to developing fetuses or puppies.
- Some dogs may be allergic to the ingredients in Heartgard plus Green. If your dog experiences any signs of an allergic reaction, such as swelling, hives, or difficulty breathing, you should seek veterinary care as soon as possible.
- Ensure that your dog does not swallow the Heartgard plus Green chewable whole, as the medication may not be as effective. You should break the chewable tablet into smaller pieces and ensure that your dog chews it completely.
- Heartgard plus Green may interact with other medications that your dog is taking. You should inform your veterinarian of any other medications or supplements your dog is taking before administering Heartgard plus Green.
- Some dog breeds may be more sensitive to the effects of ivermectin, one of the active ingredients in Heartgard plus Green. You should consult with your veterinarian if you have any concerns about giving Heartgard plus Green to your dog, especially if they are a breed known to be sensitive to ivermectin.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Do I need a prescription to buy Heartgard plus Green?
Yes, Heartgard plus Green requires a prescription from your veterinarian.
Can I use Heartgard plus Green for puppies?
Heartgard plus Green is safe to use in puppies as young as 6 weeks old and weighing at least 2.5 pounds.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Heartgard Plus Green?
If you miss a dose of Heartgard Plus Green, contact your veterinarian for advice on when to give the next dose. Continue giving your dog Heartgard Plus Green regularly to ensure their protection against heartworm disease and intestinal worms.
How often should I give my dog Heartgard plus Green?
Heartgard plus Green should be given once a month to provide protection against heartworm disease and control roundworms and hookworms.
How should I store Heartgard plus Green?
Heartgard plus Green should be stored in its original packaging at room temperature. It should be kept out of the reach of children and pets.
It's important to purchase Heartgard Plus Green from verified Canadian pharmacy.