FML Forte is a medication used to treat symptoms such as swelling, redness, and itching that is caused by infections, injury, surgery, or other conditions affecting the eye. It can be used to treat certain eye conditions caused by inflammation or injury, such as eye swelling and irritation.
The active ingredient in FML Forte is fluorometholone, a corticosteroid that works by blocking the release of certain chemicals called prostaglandins that cause pain and inflammation in the eye.
Use and Dosage
FML Forte is available in the form of ophthalmic suspension/drops containing 0.25% fluorometholone. It should be used under the supervision of a doctor and the dosage may depend on the condition being treated.
If your doctor has not directed otherwise, avoid wearing contact lenses while using this medicine. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to sterilize your contact lenses and consult with your doctor before beginning to use them again. Wait for at least 15 minutes after using the eye drops before wearing the lenses again.
To apply FML Forte eye drops:
- Start by washing your hands.
- Shake the bottle well before use and avoid touching the dropper tip to any surface, including your eye.
- Tilt your head back and pull down the lower eyelid to create a pouch.
- Hold the dropper above your eye and place one drop into the pouch.
- Close your eyes for 1-2 minutes while trying not to blink or rub your eyes.
- After applying the eye drops, apply gentle pressure on the inside corner of your eye near your nose to help prevent the medication from draining out.
- Repeat the steps for your other eye, if required, and if your dose is for more than one drop.
Only use other types of eye medication after waiting 5-10 minutes, and use eye drops before ointments.
Use the eye drops regularly to get the full benefit. Take the medication at the same time(s) each day as directed by your doctor. Do not use more or for longer than prescribed, as that may increase the risk of side effects.
Common Side Effects of FML Forte (Fluoromethalone):
- Blurred vision
- Drooping eyelids
- Feeling like something is your eye
- Mild stinging or burning in your eyes
- Red or puffy eyes
Serious Side Effects of FML Forte (Fluoromethalone):
- Difficulty breathing
- Eye pain
- Pain behind your eyes
- Seeing halos around light
- Signs of new eye infection
- Slow healing after your eye surgery
- Sudden vision changes
- Swelling draining or crusting of your eyes
- Swelling of your face lips tongue or throat
- Tunnel vision
Forms and Strength
FML Forte (Fluoromethalone) is available in the following forms and strength:
FML Forte: Eye Drops
- 0.25 %
- Do not use FML Forte if you have a fungal or viral eye infection or if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
- Long-term or excessive use of FML Forte may increase the risk of developing glaucoma or cataracts and may also promote secondary infections.
- Use of FML Forte may cause blurred vision, so individuals should exercise caution when driving or operating machinery.
- Patients should inform their doctor if they have a history of steroid-responsive or corticosteroid-induced eye conditions before using FML Forte.
- Patients should not use this medication while wearing contact lenses and should wait for at least 15 minutes after using FML Forte before reinserting their contact lenses.
- Patients should not share their medication with others and should inform their doctor of any other medications they are taking, including over-the-counter medications and supplements before using FML Forte.
- Patients should inform their doctor if they are pregnant or breastfeeding before using FML Forte.
- Patients should inform their doctor if they have any other eye conditions, such as herpes simplex virus (HSV) or mycobacterial infection before using FML Forte.
- Patients should avoid using other eye medications without consulting their doctor first, as they may interact with FML Forte or increase the risk of side effects.
- The use of FML Forte may increase intraocular pressure (IOP), so patients with a history of high IOP or glaucoma should inform their doctor before using this medication.
- Store the medication at room temperature and away from direct sunlight, heat, and moisture.
- If the symptoms do not improve or worsen after two days of use, patients should inform their doctor or seek medical attention immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can FML Forte be used with contact lenses?
Patients should not use this medication while wearing contact lenses and should wait for at least 15 minutes after using FML Forte before reinserting their contact lenses.
Is FML Forte a steroid?
Yes, FML Forte contains the active ingredient fluorometholone, which is a type of steroid medication.
Can I use FML Forte for a viral eye infection?
No, FML Forte should not be used to treat viral eye infections.
How long can you use FML Forte?
Patients should use FML Forte as directed by their healthcare provider and should not use it for longer than prescribed. Long-term or excessive use may increase the risk of developing glaucoma or cataracts and may also promote secondary infections.
Can FML Forte cause eye irritation?
Yes, eye irritation is a possible side effect of using FML Forte.