Table of contents:
DuoTrav is a medication used to decrease the pressure inside the eye in patients with open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension who are unresponsive to other medications. It contains two active ingredients, travoprost and timolol, and is available as an eye drop solution. DuoTrav works by increasing the flow of fluid out of the eye and reducing the amount of fluid produced in the eye, thereby decreasing the pressure inside the eye.
Use and Dosage
DuoTrav is actually an eye drop solution. It is used in the eye to reduce the pressure inside the eye for people with open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension. Here are the general steps for using DuoTrav eye drops:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- Shake the bottle gently before use to make sure the contents are mixed.
- Tilt your head back and look up.
- Using a finger, gently pull down your lower eyelid to create a small pocket.
- Hold the bottle upside down above your eye, taking care not to touch your eye or eyelid with the tip of the bottle.
- Squeeze one drop of the medication into the pocket created by your lower eyelid. Close your eye for 1-2 minutes and gently press on the inner corner of your eye with your finger to prevent the medication from flowing out of your eye.
- If you need to use more than one type of eye drop, wait at least 5 minutes before using the second one.
Follow the instructions provided by your healthcare provider for your specific case, as the dosage and frequency of use may vary. If you have any questions or concerns about using DuoTrav, you should talk to your healthcare provider.
Common Side Effects of Duotrav (Timolol Maleate/Travoprost):
- Bad taste in mouth
- Burning or stinging when instilling eye drops
- Change in colour to the iris or eyelashes
- Darkened skin on the eyelid
- Difficulty concentrating
- Dry eyes
- Eye irritation
- Eye itchiness
- Feeling of something in the eye
- Increased tears
- Itchy eyelids
- Lengthening or thickening of eyelashes or eyebrows
- Postnasal drip
- Redness of eye
- Sunken eyes (eyes appear more inset)
- Temporarily blurred vision
- Throat irritation or pain
Serious Side Effects of Duotrav (Timolol Maleate/Travoprost):
- arm or leg pain
- difficulty breathing
- Change in blood pressure or heart rate
- Change in urine colour
- Discomfort inside the nose
- Ear infections
- Eye pain
- Eyelid crusting
- Hallucinations (e.g., seeing or hearing things that are not there)
- Sensitivity to light
- Shortness of breath
- Signs of depression (e.g., poor concentration, changes in weight, changes in sleep, decreased interest in activities, thoughts of suicide)
- Skin infection or skin reaction
- Swelling or inflammation to the eye or eyelid
Forms and Strength
Duotrav (Timolol Maleate/Travoprost) is available in the following forms and strength:
Duotrav: Eye Drop
- Duotrav is a combination of two different medications, and any specific brand name of this medication may not be available in all the markets.
- Duotrav should be used with caution in patients with mild/moderate chronic obstructive pulmonary problems, including eczema, hives, or hay fever.
- Duotrav eye drops should be used with caution in patients with active or history of severe ocular surface disease.
- Caution should be exercised in treating patients with severe renal or hepatic impairment.
- There is no human data available on overdosage with Duotrav PQ or other similar combinations. Consult with a healthcare provider before using Duotrav , and to carefully follow the instructions and precautions provided on the medication packaging or by the healthcare provider.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I use Duotrav if I have allergies or other eye problems?
Tell your doctor if you have any allergies or other eye problems before using Duotrav. Your doctor will determine if it is safe for you to use this medication.
How long should I use Duotrav for?
The duration of Duotrav use will depend on your individual condition and response to treatment. Your doctor will determine the appropriate duration for your specific case.
Can I use Duotrav if I wear contact lenses?
You should remove your contact lenses before using Duotrav eye drops and wait at least 15 minutes before putting them back in. This will help ensure the medication is properly absorbed and does not get trapped under the lens.
It's important to purchase Duotrav from verified Canadian pharmacy.