Table of contents:
Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil is a topical medication used to treat atopic dermatitis or eczema in adult patients. It can be used to relieve inflammation and itching associated with skin conditions such as moderate-to-severe allergic dermatitis and eczema of the outer ear in children.
The active ingredient in the medication is fluocinolone, which is a low to medium potency corticosteroid. The medication works by reducing irritation and itching associated with skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema.
Use and Dosage
Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil should be applied to the affected area as directed by a doctor. To ensure proper use of Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil, follow your doctor's instructions carefully. Gently rub the oil into the affected area until it is absorbed. Before each use, shake the bottle well, wash and dry your hands. Clean and dry the affected area before applying a thin film of medication as directed by your doctor, typically three times a day. Avoid bandaging, covering, or wrapping the area unless directed to do so by your doctor.
The oil is meant for use on the skin only. Avoid using it on the face, groin, or underarms unless instructed to do so by your doctor. Do not apply it to the diaper area. It should not be taken orally, applied to the eyes, or inserted vaginally.
Take care not to cover the affected area with skin-tight clothing or dressings that do not allow the skin to breathe, especially in small children. Avoid applying the oil to the face, groin, or underarm areas since doing so can cause the medication to be absorbed into the body and lead to side effects.
Follow your doctor's instructions and use the medication exactly as prescribed. If you miss a dose, do not apply a double dose the next time. Instead, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. If you are not sure what to do, contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Common Side Effects of Derma Smooth/FS Oil Eczema (Fluocinolone Acetonide):
- Burning, dryness, irritation, itching, or redness of the skin
- Ear discomfort (if using ear drops)
- Increased redness or scaling of skin sores
- Skin rash
Serious side effects of derma smooth/fs oil eczema (fluocinolone acetonide):
- Blood-containing blisters on the skin
- Burning and itching of the skin
- Change of skin color (loss of color or darkening)
- Lack of healing or worsening of the skin condition
- Numbness in the fingers
- Painful, red, or itchy, pus-containing blisters in hair follicles
- Raised, dark red, or wart-like spots on the skin, especially when used on the face
- Skin infection
- Thinning of the skin with easy bruising
Forms and Strength
Derma Smooth/FS Oil Eczema (Fluocinolone Acetonide) is available in the following forms and strength:
Derma Smooth/FS Oil Eczema: Oil
- 0.01 %
- Topical corticosteroids can cause reversible suppression of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis, hyperglycemia, glucosuria, and Cushing's syndrome. Therefore, evaluation for HPA axis suppression may be necessary, due to the possibility of systemic absorption.
- The risk of systemic absorption increases with the use of potent corticosteroids, large areas, prolonged use, or occlusive use. If there is any development of HPA axis suppression, the treatment should be modified accordingly.
- Topical corticosteroids can cause local adverse reactions, such as atrophy, hypopigmentation, striae, allergic contact dermatitis, and acneiform eruptions. These reactions may be more likely with occlusive use, or with more potent corticosteroids.
- The use of Derma-Smoothe/FS Oil Eczema may require evaluation for HPA axis suppression due to the potential for systemic absorption. Prolonged use, occlusive use, or use on large areas can increase the risk of systemic absorption and side effects.
- Children may be more susceptible to systemic toxicity from equivalent doses of Derma-Smoothe/FS Oil Eczema.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil be used along with other topical medications?
Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil should not be used with other topical medications unless directed by a doctor.
Is Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil safe for children?
Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil is approved for use in children six years and older with atopic dermatitis. However, speak with a doctor or dermatologist before using the oil in children.
Is Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil available without a prescription?
No, Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil is a prescription medication and should be used only as directed by a licensed healthcare provider.
It's important to purchase Derma Smooth/FS Oil Eczema from verified Canadian pharmacy.