Table of contents:
Combantrin is an over counter medication used to treat parasitic infections caused by tapeworms, threadworms, roundworms, and hookworms.
Combantrin contains pyrantel embonate as an active ingredient. Pyrantel belongs to a class of drugs known as anthelmintic. It works by paralyzing parasitic worms and allowing them to be expelled from the body.
Do not use Pyrantel in children younger than 2 years unless directed by the doctor.
Use and Dosage
To use Pyrantel Pamoate Suspension, shake the bottle well before use. It may be taken with or without food, or with water, milk, or fruit juice. Use a specially marked measuring spoon or another device to measure each dose accurately. The average household teaspoon may not hold the right amount of liquid.
The recommended dosage and instructions for use may vary depending on the individual's age and weight, as well as the severity of the infection. However, the usual recommended dosage for adults and children above 15 years old is 20 mL (500 mg) as a single dose, once every 3 months. For children between 5-9 years old, the recommended dosage is 10 mL (250 mg) as a single dose, once every 3 months. Consult a doctor or pharmacist before using Combantrin Suspension.
If you miss your dose, take it as soon as you think about it.
Common Side Effects of Combantrin Suspension (Pyrantel pamoate - non-Rx):
- Stomach pain
Serious Side Effects of Combantrin Suspension (Pyrantel pamoate - non-Rx):
- Black or tarry stools
- Difficulty in breathing
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Fever with chills
- Joint or muscle pain
- Loss of appetite
- Ongoing headache
- Peeling and blistering of skin
- Severe dizziness
- Severe stomach pain
- Signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Sore throat and hoarseness
- Stomach discomfort and pain
- Swelling of eyelids, face, lips, tongue
- Weight loss
Forms and Strength
Combantrin Suspension (Pyrantel pamoate - non-Rx) is available in the following forms and strength:
Pyrantel pamoate - non-Rx: Suspension
- 50 mg
- Dosage errors: There have been concerns about the ability to resuspend Combantrin, which may lead to dosage errors. Carefully follow the dosing instructions provided by your healthcare professional.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: Consult with a healthcare professional before using Combantrin Suspension if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Allergic reactions: Individuals who are hypersensitive or allergic to pyrantel or any of the ingredients should not use Combantrin.
- Interactions with other medications: Combantrin may interact with other medications, including prescription and non-prescription drugs and herbal supplements. Inform your healthcare professional about all the medications and supplements you are taking before starting treatment with Combantrin.
- Liver or kidney disease: If you have liver or kidney disease, consult with a healthcare professional before using Combantrin.
- Pediatric use: Combantrin is generally considered safe for children, but dosing should be based on age and weight. Consult with a healthcare professional before using Combantrin in children.
- Storage and handling: Combantrin should be stored at room temperature and protected from light and moisture. It should be kept out of the reach of children and pets.
- Effectiveness: Combantrin may not be effective against all types of parasitic infections. Consult with a healthcare professional to determine the appropriate treatment for your specific condition.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What should I do if I miss a dose of Combantrin Suspension?
If you miss a dose of Combantrin, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule.
How should I store Combantrin Suspension?
Combantrin Suspension should be stored at room temperature and protected from light and moisture. It should be kept out of the reach of children and pets.
Can Combantrin Suspension be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
Consult with a healthcare professional before using Combantrin Suspension if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Is a prescription required to obtain Combantrin Suspension?
In some countries, Combantrin Suspension may require a prescription from a healthcare professional. Consult with your local healthcare professional or pharmacist for more information.
It's important to purchase Combantrin Suspension from verified Canadian pharmacy.