Table of contents:
Bentyl (Dicyclomine) is a prescription medication used to treat irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Dicyclomine belongs to a class of drugs known as anticholinergic. Dicyclomine works by reducing the number of spasms and cramps in the intestines, which helps relieve uncomfortable symptoms.
Dicyclomine oral tablet is used to treat spasms in your stomach caused by bowel disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). When taken as directed, Bentyl can provide relief from cramping, bloating, pain, and diarrhea associated with IBS. Bentyl has been approved for use in adults and children ages 12 and older.
Uses and Dosage
Dicyclomine comes in the form of a capsule, to be taken orally usually 4 times a day. It can be taken with or without food. It is important to take this medication as prescribed by your doctor to ensure it is working optimally.
For reducing their risk of side effects, the doctor may advise them to start the medication at a low dose and incrementally increase it.
The initial recommended dose of Dicyclomine is 20 mg administered four times daily. After one week of treatment with this dose, it may be increased to 40 mg four times a day, unless side effects limit the dosage escalation. If the desired therapeutic effect is not seen within two weeks, or if side effects necessitate doses less than 80 mg daily, then the drug should be discontinued. There is no safety data available for doses higher than 80 mg daily for periods longer than two weeks.
Common Side Effects of Dicyclomine include:
- Blurred Vision
- Dry Mouth
Serious Side Effects of Dicyclomine Include:
- An enlarged prostate or
- An ileostomy or colostomy
- Confusion, agitation, hallucinations, unusual thoughts, or behavior
- Fast or slow heartbeats, pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest
- Heart problems or high blood pressure
- Liver or kidney disease
- Problems with balance or muscle movement
- Problems with memory or speech
- Ulcerative colitis
Form and Strength
Dicyclomine, the generic alternative to Bentyl is available in the following forms and strengths:
- 10 mg
- 20 mg
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are currently breastfeeding. If you become pregnant while taking dicyclomine, it is important to call your doctor immediately.
- Older adults should not usually take dicyclomine, as it may cause adverse side effects or interact with other medications they are taking.
- You should be aware that dicyclomine may cause drowsiness or blurred vision. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you understand how this medication affects you.
- Dicyclomine reduces the body's ability to cool off by sweating, which can result in fever and heat stroke in extremely hot temperatures. It is important to be aware of this potential side effect and to take extra precautions in hot weather.
- When taking dicyclomine, remember that alcohol can worsen the drowsiness caused by this medication. It is recommended to limit or avoid drinking alcohol while taking dicyclomine, as this can increase the risk of side effects such as dizziness, confusion, or difficulty concentrating.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is Bentyl dicyclomine used for?
Dicyclomine is used to treat the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. Dicyclomine is in a class of medications called anticholinergics. It relieves muscle spasms in the gastrointestinal tract by blocking the activity of a certain natural substance in the body.
How fast does bentyl work?
Bentyl can be used as either a short- or long-term treatment option for IBS. It usually helps improve symptoms within hours of taking it.
Who should not take Bentyl?
You should not use dicyclomine if you are allergic to it, or if you have: glaucoma; a bladder obstruction or other urination problems; a blockage in your digestive tract (stomach or intestines).
When should I take Bentyl?
It is best to take this medication on an empty stomach, 30 minutes to 1 hour before meals. Take your medication at regular intervals. Do not take your medication more often than directed.
It's important to purchase Bentyl from verified Canadian pharmacy.