Table of contents:
Xiidra (lifitegrast ophthalmic solution) 5% is a prescription eye drop used to treat the signs and symptoms of dry eye disease. It helps relieve stinging or burning in the eyes, redness, sensitivity to light, and the sensation that there is something in the eyes.
Lifitegrast works by blocking a certain type of protein called lymphocyte function-associated antigen 1 (LFA-1), which is involved in inflammation. This lymphocyte function-associated antigen-1 (LFA-1) antagonist works by inhibiting T-cell adhesion to intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) in the human T-cell line. By blocking LFA-1, Xiidra can reduce inflammation and increase tear production, which can help relieve the symptoms of dry eye.
Use and Dosage
To use Xiidra Ophthalmic Solution, follow your doctor's instructions and apply the drops twice daily, about 12 hours apart. Wash your hands before applying the drops and be careful not to touch the tip of the container or let it touch your eye or any surface to avoid contamination. Open a single-use container only when you are ready to use it. If you wear contact lenses, remove them before applying the drops and wait for at least 15 minutes before reinserting them.
Tilt your head back, look upward, and pull down your lower eyelid to create a small pocket. Hold the dropper directly above your eye and place one drop into the pocket. Afterward, try not to blink or rub your eye, but instead, press lightly on the tear duct at the corner of the eye near your nose for one to two minutes to prevent the medicine from draining out. If your doctor has prescribed more than one drop, repeat these steps accordingly. If instructed to use Xiidra Ophthalmic Solution in both eyes, repeat these steps for the other eye.
Use eye drops before eye ointments to ensure that the drops enter your eye properly. Wait several minutes for your vision to clear before driving or using machinery. Use Xiidra Ophthalmic Solution regularly to get the best results from it, and make sure to apply it at the same times daily to help you remember.
Common Side Effects of Xiidra Ophthalmic Solution (Lifitegrast):
- Blurred vision
- Changes in taste
- Eye discomfort
- Eye irritation or discomfort
- Itchy eyes
- Metallic taste in the mouth
- Redness of the eyes
- Temporary blurred vision
- Temporary eye irritation
- Watery eyes
Serious Side Effects of Xiidra Ophthalmic Solution (Lifitegrast):
- Difficulty breathing
- Pain behind the cheeks and forehead (areas of the sinuses)
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Swelling of your face lips tongue or throat
- Yellow or green nasal mucus
Forms and Strength
Xiidra Ophthalmic Solution (Lifitegrast) is available in the following forms and strength:
Xiidra Ophthalmic Solution: Eyedrops
- Allergic reaction: If you experience signs of an allergic reaction, such as difficulty breathing, hives, swelling of the face or throat, or a severe rash, stop using Xiidra and seek medical attention immediately.
- Use with contact lenses: If you wear contact lenses, you should remove them before using Xiidra, and wait at least 15 minutes before reinserting them.
- Eye irritation: Temporary eye irritation is a common side effect of using Xiidra, although it usually goes away quickly. If you experience severe or persistent eye irritation, you should talk to your doctor.
- Blurred vision: Xiidra may cause temporary blurred vision or other changes in vision after use. This can affect your ability to drive or use machinery, so you should avoid these activities until your vision clears.
- Use in pregnant or breastfeeding women: The safety of Xiidra in pregnant or breastfeeding women has not been established, so you should talk to your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding before using it.
- Use in children: Xiidra has not been studied in children under the age of 18, so its safety and effectiveness in that population are not known.
- Use with other eye drops: If you use other eye drops, you should wait at least 5 minutes between using Xiidra and the other drops.
- Other medical conditions: Inform your doctor if you have any other medical conditions, as Xiidra may not be safe or effective for everyone. This includes conditions such as eye infections, eye inflammation, or allergies to preservatives in eye medications.
- Drug interactions: Xiidra may interact with other medications, inform your doctor of all medications you are taking, including over-the-counter drugs and herbal supplements.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is Xiidra safe for children?
Xiidra has not been studied in children under the age of 18, so its safety and effectiveness in that population are not known.
Can I use other eye drops while using Xiidra?
Yes, you can use other eye drops while using Xiidra. However, you should wait at least 5 minutes between using Xiidra and the other drops.
Do I need to refrigerate Xiidra?
No, Xiidra does not need to be refrigerated. Store it at room temperature, away from moisture and heat.
How often do I need to use Xiidra?
The recommended dose is one drop in each eye twice a day, at least 12 hours apart.
It's important to purchase Xiidra Ophthalmic Solution from verified Canadian pharmacy.