Imodium quick dissolve is an over-the-counter medication used for the treatment of diarrhea symptoms. The medication comes in the form of small, mint-flavored tablets which dissolve instantly on your tongue for fast and effective relief of diarrhea.
Imodium contains loperamide, which is an anti-diarrheal medication. Loperamide works by reducing the speed and frequency of colon contractions, which slows down the movement of food through the intestines and allows for more water to be absorbed from the stool, resulting in firmer stools. This helps to reduce the frequency and urgency of diarrhea symptoms.
Use and Dosage
Imodium comes in the form of a quick dissolve tablet to take orally by mouth. Follow the instructions on the packaging or as prescribed by your doctor. Do not push the tablet through the blister pack. Place the tablet on the tongue, allow it to dissolve completely, then swallow it with saliva. Do not crush, split, or break the tablet before taking it. Do not remove the tablet from the blister pack until just before taking it. No water is needed to take this medication.
Imodium Quick Dissolve should not be used for more than two days without consulting a doctor. For adults and children over 12 years of age, the usual dose is two Imodium Quick Dissolve tablets initially, followed by one tablet after each loose bowel movement, up to a maximum of eight tablets per day.
Common Side Effects of Imodium Quick Dissolve (Loperamide – non-Rx):
- Burning or prickly sensation on the tongue (quick-dissolve tablets)
- Dry mouth
- Nausea or vomiting
Serious Side Effects of Imodium Quick Dissolve (Loperamide – non-Rx):
- Abdominal or stomach pain, cramps, discomfort, or distention
- Bloody stools
- Decreased coordination
- Difficulty breathing
- Difficulty urinating
- Red, peeling, or blistering skin
- Shortness of breath
- Stomach pain or swelling
Forms and Strength
Imodium Quick Dissolve (Loperamide – non-Rx) is available in the following forms and strength:
Imodium Quick Dissolve: Quick Dissolve Tablet
- 2 mg
- Do not take more than the recommended dose. Overuse or abuse of this medication may cause serious harm, such as fast/irregular heartbeat or death.
- Do not use Imodium Quick Dissolve if you have a fever, bloody diarrhea, or severe abdominal pain.
- Do not use Imodium Quick Dissolve if you are allergic to loperamide or any of the ingredients in the medication.
- Imodium Quick Dissolve should not be used to treat diarrhea caused by certain bacterial infections or colitis.
- Talk to your doctor before using Imodium Quick Dissolve if you have liver problems or are taking any other medications.
- Imodium Quick Dissolve may cause drowsiness or dizziness. Do not drive or operate heavy machinery until you know how the medication affects you.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women should talk to their doctor before using Imodium Quick Dissolve.
- Imodium Quick Dissolve may interact with certain medications, such as antibiotics or antifungal medications.
- Do not take Imodium Quick Dissolve for more than two days without consulting a doctor.
- Keep Imodium Quick Dissolve out of reach of children and pets.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Imodium Quick Dissolve be used for children?
Imodium Quick Dissolve is not recommended for use in children under the age of 6.
Is it safe to take Imodium Quick Dissolve while pregnant or breastfeeding?
Pregnant or breastfeeding women should talk to their doctor before using Imodium Quick Dissolve.
How long can I take Imodium Quick Dissolve?
Imodium Quick Dissolve should not be used for more than two days without consulting a doctor.
Can Imodium Quick Dissolve be used to treat diarrhea in pets?
No, Imodium Quick Dissolve is not intended for use in pets, and you should always consult a veterinarian before giving any medication to your pet.