- FREE Express Shipping On Orders $99+
Fosrenol (Lanthanum carbonate hydrate)Prescription Required
|Dosage||Quantity & Price|
Lanthanum carbonate hydrate (Generic alternate to Fosrenol) Generic
|Dosage||Quantity & Price|
- Additional information
- Reviews (0)
Table of contents:
Fosrenol is a prescription medicine used to lower elevated serum phosphate levels in patients with end-stage renal disease (ESRD). It can be indicated to lower phosphate levels in patients with end stage kidney disease. It contains an active ingiednt called Lanthanum Carbonate Hydrate. It is a type of phosphate binder that works by binding to phosphorus in the food you eat, preventing it from being absorbed by your body.
The phosphate in the food binds to Fosrenol and is carried through the digestive tract to be eliminated in your stool. However, elevated levels of phosphate can make it hard for your body to absorb calcium, which can cause serious medical problems.
Uses and Dosage
Fosrenol comes in chewable tablet form, with doses available in 250 mg, 500mg, 750mg, and 1000mg. It is typically taken with meals or snacks, and dosages vary depending on a patient’s serum phosphate levels and other factors. To take Fosrenol, chew or crush tablets completely before swallowing. Do not swallow intact tablets, especially if you have poor dentition. Take Fosrenol with or immediately after meals.
The recommended initial total daily dose of Fosrenol is 1500 mg. Titrate the dose every 2-3 weeks until an acceptable serum phosphate level is reached. Monitor serum phosphate levels as needed during dose titration and on a regular basis thereafter. Most patients required a total daily dose between 1500 mg and 3000 mg to reduce plasma phosphate levels to less than 6.0 mg/dL. In clinical studies of patients with end-stage renal disease (ESRD), Fosrenol doses up to 4500 mg were evaluated.
Common Side Effects of Fosrenol (Lanthanum carbonate hydrate):
- Stomach pain
Serious Side Effects of Fosrenol (Lanthanum Carbonate Hydrate):
- Mental or mood changes
- Persistent vomiting
- Severe abdominal pain
- Severe constipation
- Unusual muscle spasm/weakness
Form and Strength
Fosrenol (Lanthanum carbonate hydrate) is available in the following forms and strength:
· Fosrenol: Chewable Tablet
- 250 mg
- 500 mg
- 750 mg
- 1000 mg
· Lanthanum carbonate hydrate: Chewable Tablet
- 500 mg
- Gastrointestinal adverse effects such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and constipation may occur with the use of Fosrenol.
- Fosrenol may interact with other medications or supplements, inform your doctor of all the products you are currently taking.
- Fosrenol may not be suitable for patients with certain medical conditions, such as severe constipation, ileus, or bowel obstruction.
- Fosrenol may not be suitable for elderly patients, as they may be more susceptible to the gastrointestinal adverse effects of the medication.
- Fosrenol may lower the absorption of other important minerals such as iron, calcium, and magnesium. Your doctor may recommend taking supplements to ensure adequate levels of these minerals.
- Fosrenol has radio-opaque properties and therefore may givethe appearance typical of an imaging agent during abdominal X-ray
- Fosrenol may increase the risk of seizures in patients with a history of seizures or those who are taking certain medications that lower the seizure threshold.
- Fosrenol should be used with caution in patients with liver or kidney disease, as the medication is cleared from the body primarily through the kidneys.
- Fosrenol may impact the absorption of certain medications, especially those that require acidic conditions for absorption. Your doctor may recommend taking other medications at a different time than Fosrenol.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is Fosrenol safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women?
The safety of Fosrenol during pregnancy and breastfeeding is not well established. If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking Fosrenol.
How often should I take Fosrenol?
Fosrenol is typically taken three times a day with meals or snacks. Your doctor will determine the exact dosage and frequency based on your serum phosphate levels and other factors.
How long does it take for Fosrenol to start working?
Fosrenol can start working to lower serum phosphate levels within hours of taking the first dose, but it may take up to several weeks to achieve the desired effect.
Can Fosrenol interact with other medications or supplements?
Yes, Fosrenol can interact with other medications and supplements. Some antibiotics, antacids, and dietary supplements containing calcium or iron can decrease the effectiveness of Fosrenol.
Can Fosrenol be used in children?
Yes, Fosrenol can be used in children as young as 6 years old who have end-stage renal disease and elevated serum phosphate levels. However, the dosage and frequency may be different for children than for adults.
Lanthanum Carbonate, Lanthanum carbonate hydrate
250mg, 500mg, 750mg, 1000mg
Online Pharmacies Canada has provided information from third parties intended to increase awareness and does not contain all the information about Fosrenol (Lanthanum carbonate hydrate). Talk to your doctor or other qualified medical practitioners for medical attention or advice, or if you have any concerns about Fosrenol (Lanthanum carbonate hydrate).