Table of contents:
Cyklokapron scientifically known as tranexamic acid, is a medication used to prevent or reduce bleeding in people with hemophilia. It is typically used before a dental procedure or surgery. It belongs to a class of medications called antifibrinolytics, which means that it works by blocking the action of plasmin, an enzyme that breaks down blood clots. By preventing the breakdown of clots, Cyklokapron helps to stabilize blood clots and reduce bleeding
Tranexamic acid is usually administered before a dental procedure or surgery and daily for up to 8 days afterward. Cyklokapron is indicated for short-term use (2 to 8 days) to reduce or prevent hemorrhage and reduce the need for replacement therapy during and following tooth extraction.
Uses and Dosage
To use Cyklokapron tablets, take the tablet by mouth with or without food as directed by your doctor, usually two tablets three times a day (morning, afternoon, bedtime). Always follow the instructions provided by your healthcare provider when using Cyklokapron. Inform your healthcare provider of any medications you are taking before starting Cyklokapron, as it may interact with certain medications, such as blood thinners and hormonal contraceptives.
The dosage and length of treatment is based on your medical condition and response to treatment. Dosage is also based on your weight. Do not increase your dose, take it more frequently, or take it for a longer time than prescribed.
Common Side Effects of Cyklokapron (Tranexamic Acid):
- Feeling unusually happy
- Mild itching or rash
Serious Side Effects of Cyklokapron (Tranexamic Acid):
- Balance problems
- Blood in your urine
- Chest pain
- Coughing up blood
- Difficulty breathing
- Painful or difficulty urination
- Problems with your vision (including color vision)
- Rapid breathing
- Severe headache
- Slurred speech
- Sudden cough
- Sudden numbness or weakness (especially on side of the body)
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Swelling, warmth, or redness in an arm or leg
Form and Strength
Cyklokapron (Tranexamic Acid) is available in the following forms and strength:
- 500 mg
Tranexamic Acid: Tablet
- 500 mg
- Cyklokapron may interact with certain medications, such as blood thinners and hormonal contraceptives. Always consult with your healthcare provider or pharmacist for more information and guidance on the safe and appropriate use of Cyklokapron.
- You should not use Tranexamic Acid if you are color blind, if you have problems with the blood vessels in your eyes, or if you have ever had a stroke, blood clot, or bleeding in your brain.
- Side effects can include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle pain, or changes in vision.
- Cyklokapron can increase the risk of blood clots or stroke in some patients, particularly those with a history of blood clots or heart disease.
- It may be contraindicated in patients with a history of seizures or renal impairment.
- Cyklokapron should be used with caution in patients with a history of venous or arterial thromboembolism, or those taking medications that increase the risk of thrombosis.
- Cyklokapron should be used with caution and under close medical supervision in patients undergoing major surgery or with certain bleeding disorders.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Cyklokapron interact with other medications?
Yes, Cyklokapron may interact with certain medications, such as blood thinners and hormonal contraceptives. Inform your healthcare provider of any medications you are taking before starting Cyklokapron.
Who should not use Cyklokapron?
People who have a history of blood clots, stroke, or seizures should not use Cyklokapron. It is also not recommended for use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding.
Can Cyklokapron be used to treat heavy menstrual bleeding?
Yes, Cyklokapron can be used to treat heavy menstrual bleeding (menorrhagia). The dosage is two tablets three times daily for up to four days, with the option to increase the dosage if bleeding remains very heavy.
Is Cyklokapron safe to use during pregnancy?
Do not Cyklokapron for use during pregnancy as it may harm the developing fetus. Women who are pregnant or planning to become pregnant should discuss alternative treatment options with their healthcare provider.
Is Cyklokapron addictive?
No, Cyklokapron is not addictive.
It's important to purchase Cyklokapron from verified Canadian pharmacy.