Table of contents:
Cortisporin Otic Solution is a prescription medicine used to treat bacterial ear infections such as swimmer's ear. It can be used to treat certain bacterial infections of the outer ear canal. It contains three active ingredients: neomycin sulfate, polymyxin B sulfate, and hydrocortisone.
Neomycin and polymyxin B are antibiotics that work by stopping the growth of bacteria, while hydrocortisone is a steroid that helps to reduce inflammation and swelling. Mixing these three active ingredients together works by inhibiting the growth and spread of bacteria within the ear canal, and it typically starts to work within 48 hours of administration.
Uses and Dosage
Cortisporin Otic Solution is administered as drops directly into the ear canal. Typically, the medication is used by placing a few drops into the affected ear(s), usually three or four times a day or as directed by your healthcare provider. The ear canal should be clean and dry before administering the medication. Follow the dosage instructions provided by your doctor and continue using the medication for the entire course of treatment, even if you start feeling better after a few days. As with any prescription medication, be sure to discuss any concerns or questions with your doctor or pharmacist.
To apply the medication, lie down or tilt your head with your ear facing upward. Hold the dropper upside down over your ear and drop the correct number of drops into the ear. After applying the drops, keep your head tilted for a few minutes to allow the medication to reach the affected area.
Do not use more medication than prescribed or for longer than recommended by your healthcare provider, as this can lead to serious side effects. If you have any questions or concerns about how to use this medication, be sure to contact your healthcare provider for guidance.
Common Side Effects of Cortisporin Otic Solution (Neomycin/Polymyxin B Sulfates/Hydrocortisone):
- Dry skin
Serious Side Effects of Cortisporin Otic Solution (Neomycin/Polymyxin B Sulfates/Hydrocortisone):
- Difficulty breathing
- Hearing loss
- Hearing problems
- New or worsening fungal ear infection
- Swelling of your face lips tongue or throat
Form and strength
Cortisporin Otic Solution (Neomycin/Polymyxin B Sulfates/Hydrocortisone) is available in the following forms and strength:
Neomycin/Polymyxin B Sulfates/Hydrocortisone: Solution
- Neomycin can induce permanent sensorineural hearing loss due to cochlear damage, with prolonged use of the product. Hearing loss is more likely to occur in patients with pre-existing renal damage and in those with normal renal function who receive higher dosages or prolonged therapy.
- Cortisporin Otic Solution should be used cautiously in patients with a history of hypersensitivity to neomycin, polymyxin, hydrocortisone, or other corticosteroids, or to any of the other ingredients in this medication.
- Patients should not use this medication for a longer duration than what is prescribed by their healthcare provider.
- It is essential that patients should not share this medication with others as it is a prescription medication.
- Patients should consult their healthcare provider before using this medication if they are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Patients should inform their healthcare provider about any other healthcare problems they have, especially problems such as hearing problems, cystic fibrosis, or kidney problems, so that their healthcare provider can determine if this medication is appropriate for them.
- Prolonged use of Cortisporin Otic Solution can lead to the growth of non-susceptible organisms, such as fungi.
- Patients with perforated eardrums should not use this medication as it can cause ototoxicity or damage to the ear.
- Cortisporin Otic Solution should be used with caution in patients who are at risk for chemical irritation of the middle ear due to its pH.
- Long-term use of corticosteroid medications such as hydrocortisone can lead to an increased risk of developing infections or other complications.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long can I use Cortisporin Otic Solution for?
Your healthcare provider will provide specific instructions on how long you should use Cortisporin Otic Solution. Do not use it for longer than prescribed, as prolonged use can lead to serious side effects.
Can I use Cortisporin Otic Solution with other medications?
Before using Cortisporin Otic Solution with other medications, consult with your healthcare provider. They can provide guidance on whether it is safe to use this medication with other medications you may be taking.
How do I store Cortisporin Otic Solution?
Cortisporin Otic Solution should be stored at room temperature and kept away from light. It should also be kept out of reach of children.
Can I use Cortisporin Otic Solution for other types of ear infections?
Cortisporin Otic Solution is specifically formulated to treat infections and inflammation of the ear. It is not recommended for other types of infections.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Cortisporin Otic Solution?
If you miss a dose of Cortisporin Otic Solution, use it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not use extra medication to make up for a missed dose.
It's important to purchase Cortisporin Otic Solution from verified Canadian pharmacy.