Table of contents:
Buscopan generically known as Hyoscine is a medicine used to help relieve abdominal pain and cramping. Hyoscine belongs to a class of medications known as antispasmodics. It works by blocking the body's ability to sense pain signals in the gut, offering fast relief from painful symptoms.
Buscopan is commonly used to relieve the discomfort associated with stomach cramps, digestion issues, and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). It is used to relieve muscle spasms in the stomach, intestines, bladder, and urethra. By relaxing the smooth muscles within these areas, Hyoscine can reduce spasms and cramps.
Uses and Dosage
Buscopan tablets are all the same strength, containing 10mg of hyoscine butyl bromide. You can take Buscopan with or without food, according to their instructions. The tablets can be taken with or without food and should be swallowed with a glass of water. Continue taking the medication for as long as your doctor recommends and do not stop before, as this may cause your symptoms to return or worsen.
- The recommended dose of Buscopan for adults and children aged 12 years and older experiencing stomach cramps or cramping pain is two tablets, taken four times a day.
- For children aged 6 to 11 years, the suggested dosage is one tablet, taken three times a day.
- For those diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) by a physician, the recommended dose is one tablet, taken three times a day, which can be increased to two tablets, taken four times a day if needed.
Common Side Effects of Buscopan (Hyoscine) Includes
- Blurred vision
- Decreased ability to sweat
- Dry mouth
- Fast heartbeat
Serious Side Effects of Buscopan (Hyoscine) Include
- Difficulty urinating
- Dizziness or lightheadedness when getting up from a lying or sitting position
- Painful red eye with loss of vision
- Shortness of breath
- Skin rash and itching
- Symptoms of a severe allergic reaction
- Vision changes
Form and Strength
Buscopan is available in the following forms and strengths:
- 10 mg
- Buscopan is not suitable for people who have ever had an allergic reaction to Buscopan or any other medicine. It should not be used by those with a rare type of glaucoma called acute angle closure glaucoma, myasthenia gravis, a fast heart rate (tachycardia), pregnant women, or those with an obstruction of the stomach, intestine, or bladder.
- Buscopan is not suitable for people who suffer from a much-enlarged bowel (megacolon), as well as those with myasthenia gravis (a condition where the muscles become weak and tired easily).
- Buscopan should not be used by pregnant women, people with a fast heart rate (tachycardia), or those with an obstruction of the stomach, intestine, or bladder. It is important to consult your doctor or pharmacist before taking Buscopan if you have any of these conditions.
- Buscopan Cramps tablets should not be given to children under the age of 6 years, as Buscopan can cause side effects such as drowsiness, blurred vision, and dry mouth.
- If you are using Buscopan to treat a condition without consulting a doctor, do not take it for longer than 2 weeks without seeking medical advice.
- Hyoscine should not be used during pregnancy unless the benefits outweigh the risks. If you become pregnant while using this medication, contact your doctor immediately, as it could have potential risks to the developing fetus.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the recommended dosage for Buscopan (Hyoscine)?
The recommended dosage of Buscopan (Hyoscine) depends on the age and weight of the patient. Generally, adults should take 10-20 mg orally three times a day, while children should take 5-10 mg orally three times a day. It is important to follow the dosage instructions provided by your doctor to ensure optimal effectiveness.
Is Buscopan (Hyoscine) safe for long-term use?
Buscopan (Hyoscine) is generally safe for long-term use, however, it needs to be checked with your doctor before taking the medication for longer than 2 weeks. Your doctor can evaluate the risk and benefits of long-term use and adjust the dosage or suggest alternative treatment if necessary.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Buscopan (Hyoscine)?
If you miss a dose of Buscopan (Hyoscine), take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take the next dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
What other medications should I avoid while taking Buscopan (Hyoscine)?
You should avoid taking medications that contain alcohol, as they may interact with Buscopan (Hyoscine). Additionally, you should avoid taking any other antispasmodic medications, as they may increase the risk of side effects.
It's important to purchase Buscopan from verified Canadian pharmacy.