Table of contents:
Ditropan XL is a prescription medication used to treat symptoms of overactive bladder, such as incontinence or a frequent need to urinate. It contains the active ingredient oxybutynin. Oxybutynin is in a class of medications called anticholinergics/antimuscarinics. It works by relaxing the muscles in the bladder to reduce spasms and urges to urinate.
Oxybutynin is used for children 6 years of age and older who have an overactive bladder due to certain nerve disorders (such as spina bifida). It can be used alone or with other medications treat symptoms of overactive bladder, such as frequent or urgent urination, incontinence (urine leakage), and increased night-time urination.
Uses and Dosage
Ditropan XL comes in the form of a tablet and should be taken exactly as prescribed by a healthcare professional. It is typically taken once a day, with or without food. The appropriate dose will depend on your medical condition and how you respond to the treatment. The tablet should be swallowed whole and should not be crushed or chewed. Swallow it whole with the help of liquids.
The recommended dosages for oxybutynin may vary depending on the specific condition being treated, age, and other factors. However, based on the search results provided, here are some potential dosages:
- For overactive bladder, the recommended starting dose of Ditropan XL is 5mg or 10mg once daily, which may be adjusted in 5mg increments as needed up to a maximum recommended dose of one 5mg tablet four times a day.
- For children aged six and older with overactive bladder, the recommended starting dose may be lower and adjusted at approximately weekly intervals.
Common Side Effects of Ditropan XL (Oxybutynin ER):
- Blurred vision
- Dry eyes
- Dry mouth
- Dry or flushed skin
- Stomach pain
- Unusual taste in the mouth
- Upset stomach
Serious Side Effects of Ditropan XL (Oxybutynin ER):
- Decreased sexual ability
- Difficulty urinating
- Mental or mood changes
- Signs of kidney infection (fever, pain in the lower back, painful urination, or difficulty urinating)
- Stomach or intestinal blockage
- Swelling of the extremities
- Vision problems
Form and Strength
Ditropan XL (Oxybutynin ER) is available in the following forms and strength:
· Ditropan XL: Tablet
- 5 mg
- 10 mg
· Oxybutynin ER: 24H ER Tablet
- 5 mg
- 10 mg
- 15 mg
- Ditropan XL may interact with other medications, including certain antibiotics, antifungal drugs, and anticholinergic agents. Inform a healthcare professional about all medications being taken before using Ditropan XL.
- Ditropan XL may be prescribed for children with overactive bladder, but the safety and efficacy of this medication in children under the age of 6 has not been established.
- If a dose of Ditropan XL is missed, it should be taken as soon as possible unless it is close to the next scheduled dose. In such cases, the missed dose should be skipped, and the regular dosing schedule resumed.
- The safety of Ditropan XL during pregnancy or while breastfeeding has not been established. Consult with a healthcare professional before using any medication during pregnancy or while breastfeeding.
- Ditropan XL may cause drowsiness or dizziness, particularly during the initial period of use or when the dosage is increased. Avoid driving or engaging in other activities requiring alertness until the effects of the medication are known.
- Talk to your doctor about the safe use of alcohol while you are taking this medication. Alcohol can make the side effects from oxybutynin worse.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can you take oxybutynin on an empty stomach?
You may take this medicine with or without food. Take it at the same time each day. While taking this medicine, part of the tablet may pass into your stools. This is normal and is nothing to worry about.
Can I take oxybutynin at night?
Immediate-release oxybutynin is usually taken three to four times daily unless it is just used for night-time urinary incontinence when one dose is taken at night.
Can Ditropan XL be taken with food?
Yes, Ditropan XL can be taken with or without food.
Is Ditropan XL available over the counter?
No, Ditropan XL is a prescription medication and is not available over the counter.
It's important to purchase Ditropan XL from verified Canadian pharmacy.